Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Sandy Banman

What are three things that happened in the month of May that were pretty exciting?

The month of May has been busy with school ending, but most importantly our boys track team doing so well. They were regional champs, for the 3rd year in a row, and took the most events to the state track meet that Goessel boys have ever taken! As I think a lot of you have heard, the Goessel boys were Class 1A State Runner-Up. We were only 7 1/2 points out of 1st place. There were many exciting events with the highlight being that Garrett set a state record in the javelin throw. Another highlight is that Craig brought home 4 medals, with this being done only one other time in the history of GHS track. Our smaller girls team brought 5 events to state, with 3 of them placing. We had some fun individuals, but the last week was really dampened for my fellow coach and I. We decided to change a relay runner so that we could have our 4 fastest girls on the track at state. HHHmmmm, don't you want to have the best possible athletes participating at the state level?? Well, not according to some of the girls and their parents. It was all about not hurting feelings. Needless to say we had several athlete and parent confrontations that week, but we stuck to our decision and the relay team ran 15 seconds faster than they had all year. And who said those Goessel coaches don't know anything! :)

I've been doing some searching on the job front, looking for a full-time PE teaching position. I had an interview at a middle school in Newton. The job was not offered to me, but later I found out some information that makes me glad I didn't get it. Apparently the principal in the building is not well liked because he is very controlling. The comment was made to me by some other teachers that I was "too good' and "had too much experience for him". Could be true, he hired a first year teacher right out of college! I am also pursuing an Elem. PE opening in Hesston. Should find out something this week.

Is there anything in June that looks pretty darn interesting or fun?

Summer plans are keeping enough food around the house for a growing 16 year old, tending to my flowers, and possibly helping with summer school.

No comments: